Friday, August 26, 2005

The Road is Rocky


I've landed. I've finally landed in Africa. Just the sound of it brings me wonder. I've planned for so long, talked about it so long, thought about it so long, packed for so long, worried, stressed, and wondered so long but I never really thought it would happen. It's compleatly overwelming in every way and simply insane that i'm actually standing on African soil. Cully is rather giddy and excited. He's constantly running to and fro. I barely see him. Every time i do, he's with someone new and looking thrilled. Sam and I keep looking at eachother with this curious expression and and keep saying "i can't believe we're in africa". Honestly, the words are simple but the fact is amazing. And look up the word amazing or something becuase i mean it. Here, i looked it up for you: a·maze ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-mz)v. a·mazed, a·maz·ing, a·maz·es v. tr. To affect with great wonder; astonish.

Tuesday is a blur. A 26 hour day of traveling doesn't exacly leave one feeling excited to board a huge ship. Our plane was luxurious, a 747. i need'nt complain. We were treated like royalty, given three huge meals, and the back compartment of the plane (which seated about 80) all to ourselves. a god send. I was extreamly anxious/nervous/panicy/freaked-out on the plane. I didn't know what to expect, neither did i wish to think about it. I looked behind me, sam's head was burried in his bible. I decided i should do the same. I found my theme verse. i kept reading it over adn over again. I honestly was struggling to find a reason as to why i was putting myself through such anguish and i found it. Phillipians 3:8-11. wonderful little verse.

I consider everythign a loss compared to the supassing greatness of knowing Jesus Chirst my Lord, for whose sake i have lost all things. I consider them rubish, that i may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - the rightesousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

I want to gain Christ. I want to know Christ and the POWER, in all it's greatness, of his resurrection. There was my reason. I read it over. Pray that I will consider all my loss as rubish that i may gain Christ. pray that i wish share in his sufferings so as to become like him unto his death. I shared the verse with Sam. We talked about it for awhile. I kept repeating "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection, I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection." Sam is a very thoughtful and grateful boy. He's open and a good influence on me. After awile he commented, "That's good Aubren".

26 hours after boarding plane, we three steped onto South African soil, Cully and I feeling quite nauseous and searching for a bathroom and Sam leading the way. The Johannousburg airport was filled with small dogs with leashes around their neck and no ownder in site. They pompously went about sniffing luggage, even came up to mine. I was hopeing he wouldn't be able to smell a swisss army knife, which by the way, got through bwi airport and the johannousburg airport...score! A beautifully beat-up land rover was waiting for us at the gate. Mercyship welcomers were inside.

It was surreal pulling up to the ship. There it was, what i had been looking at so long in pictures, was in front of me. It was massive. Even had WWW.MERCYSHIPS.ORG on the side. It was the real deal. We walked up the huge plank and boarded the ship that would be called home for the next 12 months. Overwelmed, terrified doesn't even begin to express my state. I now sit here though, thursday night, a full day has gone by. I crashed last night after Sam and I explored the place, walked all over the decks, got lost in all the corridors and maze of hallways, and witnessed more languages and accents then i've ever had in one evening.

i woke this morning, not expecially wanting to go to breakfast. I was tired and feeling sorry for myself...I want to know christ and the power of his resurrection, i want to know christ and the power of his ressurection. I liften my body up 20 minutes later and looked out the porthole right next to my bed. i dressed, skipped the showers, grabed my swipe card and walked the long hallways to breakfast. I spotted Sam, good ol' sam, and went to sit with him. i introduced him to one of my cabin mates (say that in a brittish accent...it's what i hear all day adn it's really wonderful) and talked a bit. After many meetings and introductions we walked the dock and wanted to go out in the town. We talked to a man who told us to be extreamly aware and careful in the streets of east london. "There are many, many, men who have one foot in the bush(say in brittish). it's not safe like the US, no it's not. They're quick. They're dangorous. Don't forget it." Sam and I said our timid thanks yous and thought we might just go to lunch and think about leaving for the town a little later. After someone else told us to get a taste of east london and that 2 was a fine number ("just hold tight to your belongings") we headed up the road. A car beeped and told us to get in, that we were crazy to try walking the big hill, they'd take us to the top. Sam motioned for me to get in, thinking they were crew from teh ship. When they asked us who we were and adn began inquering of the ship, i knew better. They took us directly to the market, also told us to be careful, wished up luck and left. Very nice ment. I looked at sam though, rolling my eyes "those were so locals. we just did what our mothers always told us never to do...we talked to strangers."

we were careful though. no worries. We walked for about 4 hours. Everyone walkes here. You can't buy in bulk, only small sizes. there's massive hills and no humidity. It's winter here, about 66 or 68 degrees. really beautiful. We bought candy bars that said "p.s. don't stress" and one that said "p.s. im thinking of you"...i was quite intrigued. We finally found our way to the beach and stood on the rocks facing the Indian Ocean. (!!)

I thought it would be awful here. i thought it would be scarey. thought it would be lonely. awkward. sad. difficult. and scary. It's been all those things. I feel like i've been here for a far greater time then i have. Yet, it's only the end of the second day and already im beginning to feel established and with companions. i met a norwegion girl tonight. i actually noticed her when i steped on to the ship the second i got here. she had cool hair and dark skin. Her face looked forlorn and her accent, charming. She was in my computer introduction course tonight adn though she appeared rather confident and without need, i found she had only been here only a day longer then me adn was feeling (get this!) everythign i was. Her name is Signe and she's 22. 4 years isn't much, 22 just seems so old to me. She's my friend though. It's wonderful. We hugged, glad to find eachother.

I'm glad i'm here. I'm beginnin to get excited. God has surprised me with two friends...signe and sam. i came here thinking i'd be alone and i've already been given more then i imagined. i'm doing well. you can praise the lord.

i want to write more, i wish this was better, but im exhausted and my bed calls loudly. theres so MUCH to tell when you arrive in a new country....it's crazy like that.

5 comments:

linnea said...

Sienna I am bursting at the seams from excitement.Saying I am happy for you just doesn't cut it.

you go girl!

faith said...

Wow, that is so awesome. It is really great to be able to read of your adventures. It reminds me to stop thinking of myself so much. You are a wonderful encouragement and a beautiful example.

Rachel C. said...

sieena! oh praise God tha you are doing well!!! keep readind and reciting those verses! oh, tell me more about johannesburg! no humidity..whats that?? lol.. oh now i'm just itching to go! lol.. and the indian ocean?? oh bless! sounds wonderful! soak it in babe! i hope you have taken pictures! don't you just love the accents!! oh sienna! i'll have to admit that i am feeling a bit envious! i want to be there too!lol.. but hte Lords timing and not my own:) hope you third day went even better! tell your frineds hello from maryland! hugs~rach

grey rose (they/them) said...

i am so glad for your days to be so filled with amazement! you are in many prayers of mine. i love that you have begun this adventure!

kyrieanna said...

is this my sienna? having all these adventures without me? ah, such is life.