Friday, September 02, 2005

I Found Something to be Saddened by.

"The times are a'changin". Bob Dylan's lyrics echo in my mind. Corinna left HR today. Wednesday was her last day. She worked in HR for her summer job on board(actually "winter" job. It's winter here in East London. Low to mid 60's. i'v been wearing light pants and jackets. quite nice) but she's normally involved in outreach when we're docked in coutries like liberia or sierra lione. She works with the children directly, in their schools. I saw a video on it. It's pretty amazing. She said i could definitly get involved, so i'm looking forward to that.

It's funny though, how sad i am. I'm sobered to see her go and i'm saddened by the loss. Corinna's not even leaving the ship and we've only been co-workers for a week but i'm so utterly annoyed that's she's gone from our department. Corinna is around 30 years old and she was waiting at the entrance when Sam, Cully, and I arrived. She wasn't even the one that would be giving us our tour, she simply knew their were going to be new crew arriving and wanted to be there to make us feel welcome. She's come from Germany and has been here for about a year. Corinna is one of those people that you love being around. I know that's cliche...i know that statment is over used. But it's very true of this woman. She's gentle, warm, giving, caring, and just holds others in high regard. Whatever bad mood i may be in at one point or another, i catch a glimpse of Corinna and it makes me smile and i want to be a better person. Even if you don't personally click with her, her presence is soothing to be around. She laughs at me alot, and if you know me, you know that too much laughing tends to get on my nearves, and yet it's pleasant coming from Corinna. When she showed me my office space, she encouraged me to make it my own and to move anything around to better suit my tastes. While she trained me, she kept reminding me that although this was her way of doing it, that i was not required to do it any one way. If i found a more efficient way or a way that simply suited me better, she urged me to feel comfortable in whatever changes i needed to make. As a result, throughout the day she made it a habit to ask me what I thought, if I had a better idea. She urged me to feel confident and encouraged my creativity. She entirely shattered any impression that this job was some small, structured box. Her humility, her love, and her godliness are characteristics in a person that one's not often given the chance to know. And yet, we're often sourrounded by these interesting people, yet we don't take the time to find out. We pass them by without taking notice. Corinna sought me out. She took the effort to make sure i not only felt comfortable but that i felt noticed and cared for. Even Sam says shes one of his favorite people. He keeps begging her to teach him German and he may have almost persuaded her. I didn't want to miss out on the deal so him and I may be taking German lessons, once a week during dinner.

I've only known Corinna 7 days. Even though the time was short, only a blink, I see the exception in her. Her distinctiveness is matchless. I know my blessing.

Now new people are coming into HR to fill empty spaces. Last week i was one of those new people. i still am. It's so annoying though. Instead of just being able to want to meet them and engage in them without a pre-supposed impression or ideal, theres this standard of Corinna that i've set all around them. They can't escape it. They're not like Corinna! They're not!, i want to shout. And i'm so offended. I'm so disappointed.

Be grateful for those interestingly and mysteriously loving people in your life. and if you don't have them, stop and look around.

engage.

3 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

sweet sienna....thank you! i engage every opportunity i can! i am so thankful for the many seasons and friends the lord has graced me with! praise him!

faith said...

Your blog is so great. It always makes me think and smile.

linnea said...

That's funny because it makes me cramp up.

...



...



hhahahahhaahahahhaa. Just kidding! I love it too.