Today is Sunday. It started with one extra hour of sleep. The announcement went over the intercom last night, “All crew: set you clocks back one hour. All Crew, clocks back one hour.” Liberia approaches along with a new time zone. I am now 7 hours ahead of you instead of 6. My morning was calm. I went out to the deck, as usual, and listened to a sermon of Pastor Shelton’s. I feel so spoiled out at sea. God’s work and beauty, his power and majesty are so obvious out here. Constant wonder is inevitable. Scripture is so real. During sermons, I constantly nod “Amen”. The ocean roars in front of me. The sun rips through the clouds dispersing it’s colours with more severity than I’ve ever seen. There’s water as far as my eyes can see. I went up to the bridge yesterday evening with Corinna and Cully. The bridge is where the Captain and the steering wheel are. You have to book an appointment to go up. Cully and Corinna held the wheel and were fascinated by all the gadgets and the fact that they were steering the ship. I guess it was pretty neat. I just went out to the railing and looked over. I was the farthest up on the ship as you could be and looking down was so neat. That’s all I can give it: “So neat”. If you could just think of “so neat” to it’s fullest meaning, maybe you’d have an idea. I called Cully over, nodding for him to look over the edge too. I was practically hanging over when he just glanced over and his eyes got wide. He jumped away, looking nauseous. “No. can’t do that.” He muttered.
“ah man...” I Sighed. “You’re missing it. Isn’t it crazy? There’s sharks down there. Sharks that can tear you apart and there’s whales, bigger than you even know. Right down there, right below us. Man.”
But yes, I do feel spoiled here. That will probably change in Liberia, but maybe not. We had worship on the bow this evening. The set setting as our backdrop. The beauty of the earth, as my favourite hymn goes, is so evident here, especially as we sail and especially when I’m out on the deck, instead in my bed with my head in the pillow, feeling nauseous.
Cully’s doing better. He had to work this morning. We hung out for a couple hours this afternoon as he toyed with my laptop and I embroidered on a white tea towel for my cabin. He seems to be doing all right. He may not be enjoying it yet, as I am, but as long as he keeps his mind off it, he seems to be doing fine. I don’t want the sail to end. It rocks me to sleep at night and provides such a perfect breeze when you’re outside. It’s funny too, how it brings the ship together. Anna said it would. I doubted. But we’re all on this ship. On Friday night there was nothing to do but what the ship had planned. So everyone was there. Last night (Saturday) they set up a huge screen outside, on the bow, and played movies. First was veggie tales, then Finding Nemo, and last, Second Hand Lions. I caught the last couple minutes of Second Hand Lions but was busy saving a bird, before that, who had flown into the ship and seemed confused. I was telling Cully though, that they need to be taking advantage of this ocean that we’re surrounded by. They should be showing something like “Jaws”. The sharks are all of 20 feet away from us. Why aren’t we showing these movies when we’re in the prefect scare you pants off atmosphere?
Well we’re 2 days out. 7 to go. I’m going to go to the Mediterranean Lounge now to embroider with Cristin. My love to you all.
9 comments:
aww embroidering..i love doing that. man i would love to see those sharks andwhales!! well.. maybe not too close to the sharks:)
scare your pants off atmostphere, haha thats great! you should suggest it. and yah that is awesome embriodering, learning lots of fun things! can you actually see the sharks?
embroidering! wonderful!
watch out for sharks i guess...
you are in my prayers:)
lowen, you there?
Ferries are perhaps the closest I have ever come to experiencing the sea life. But I think through the odd ferry ride I catch a glimmer of what "neat" encompasses: the thrill of height (and possible depths--only a thin rail prevents an imminent plunge), the wind broom sweeps your hair untidy, the sea (as it did in Genesis) teems with living creatures.
I miss the sea.
i love you, sienna.
Greg, Dr. T and I were watching the "Top 100 Scariest Movie moments"(yea, we're sad) and "JAWS" was Number ONE on the Scariest list-surprise, who hasn't been freaked out by someone coming up to you at OC "singing" the theme song..."da,dant...dadant,.Dadant,DADant DADANT"!
***Mrs. Taylor
Man, I love top 100 lists. The top 100 Heros and Villians in film annouced Atticus Finch #1 Hero, and the Wicked Witch of the West #1 Villian. (Man, I love Atticus Finch) ( and to kill a mockingbird )
I tried embroidering once, it didn't turn out too well. You will have to teach me when you get back!
Post a Comment