Saturday, August 18, 2007

bouquet of bananas
I woke this morning, reminded by the dinging text of kyrie that I overslept and needed to leave in 20 minutes. Destination ----> Easton. Hair appointment and gift card time. We had to spend a bunch of money that was given us before tomorrow, when we leave for our mountain. I dropped Kyrie, Annie, and Emma off at Oliver Michael's, a new place we keep hearing about but havn't tried yet. They're all young in there with short and spunky hairstyles. Bright red highlights and sparkly studded details in their ears and noses. I turned to go, to shop around, confident I'd left my sister and 2 friends in good hands. The vibe was good.

I got to my store at 9 and walking up I knew before I pulled on the stubborn door it wouldn't budge. Saturday morning. 9am. It wasn't going to be open. 10am. I had an hour. I walked back to the red van and reclining the seat back a bit, I sat and rolled the windows down. the wind was strong and the sun warm. It was pleasent.. so very pleasent. being warned last night that Harry's epilogue was disappointing I left it in the green van at home to wait patiently for tomorrow's journey. I looked around in my friend's car. between the two seats upfront lay a book. the spine was pointed down so i pulled it out and read "The Speckled People - a Memoir of a Half-Irish Childhood." I opened it. the first line read "When you're small you know nothing."

I like short sentences. and I like simple ones too.

It had me... all the way to the fourth chapter. It's written from the viewpoint of a young boy whose mother is German and father Irish. A speckled child, they call him. He knows 3 languages but is forbidden to speak English. He talks about his mother, the details of his grandfather, the firmness of his father, and the critical watching eye of the public. There's this part i read this morning though that i so enjoyed. I decided to read it outloud to myself, twice. This is how it goes.

"I knew that my grandmother Berta was an opera singer and that my grandfather Franz once went to listen to her sing at the state opera house in Krefeld, and because everyone else was sending her flowers, he decided to send her a bouquet of bananas instead, and that's how they fell in love and got married."

A bouquet of bananas. Why does that sound so much lovelier to me than flowers?

It just does.

9 comments:

annie said...

oh man, now i'm inspired to read this book too! to think it's been hiding in my car and i didn't even know it.

i love how you masterfully manipulate your words to make it sound like you left HP on purpose. heh heh. ;)

Sienna said...

(girl - you're giving me away! ha)

Michael Kendall said...

i knew it.

Lindsay said...

I love a good read. I don't know if you've ever seen the movie "You've Got Mail" and if you have, how you felt about it....but one of my very favorite lines from that movie was when Tom Hanks said "If I knew where you lived, I would send you a boquet of freshly sharpened pencils." I think it's lovely. Far more romantic than flowers!

todd and anna said...

Hey girl,

How are you? I have been looking for your nail polis. I can not find it.....but i got you another one I think you will like! I will send it as soon as posible

Love you Anna

Sienna said...

you're too precious, Anna. I don't know what i'd do without you.

Cindy said...

In "Stranger then Fiction" the Will Farrell Character gives the girl (who loves to bake) "FLOURS"--I lvoed that! it took me a second to "get it" when I saw the movie--

Wheat Barley Oat etc-- I thought that was very creative.

Sienna said...

mrs. cindy,
i loved that scene.

lindsay,
you have no idea how much kyrie and I adore that movie. you've got mail. (we sort of know it by heart.) bouquet of bananas. bouquet of newly sharpened pencils. equally beautiful.

kibbe said...

I'll work on getting that book out to you Sienna. It's just a matter now of getting to the post office. Much easier said than done!