Tuesday, May 06, 2008

somewhere between.

It's the summer time again. just like that. In the midst of my sophomore year I thought it would never end but toward the end I knew it was all catching up and time had begun slipping through my fingerstips. Somewhere between the falling autumn leaves and new summer air it slipped. and I couldn't stop it and I couldn't pause it. All I could do was resign. It wasn't a despair but almost a curious resigning. Where had all the time gone? Where had all the studying and stress gone? Where had the sunsets and early mornings gone? Where had Kyrie gone?

enjoy you moment. enjoy those people around you. those ones you love.

Kyrie left yesterday. She left for Maryland and then off to Philly for art school and no, she has not died but no longer will she live on my hall, in my room, and on my bed. She'll no longer be a simple shout away and I won't be able to spot her over by the windows at 1pm in the great hall with eric. I won't be calling her anymore asking when she'll be back or if she wants to go to pancakes in the morning at the kaufmans or just sleep in. No more calls of "where are you? i'm coming" or "do you want to go to starbucks for a caramel machiotto?" It's the day to day I'll miss. It's the knowing she's in arm's length and the comfort that offered. It's the feeling that I can never overdo my welcome with her, that I'll never tire her listening ears. It's that simple yet profound knowledge that someone knows you completely and yet they love you in spite of it. they get you. and they don't need you to speak all the time either. you can relax.

kyrie's dear to me.

and yet I very much see the good at the same time. There's this huge hole that she left yesterday, almost like part of me was chopped off when I hugged her and let her walk away. There's no pretty way to say it. and yet this hole even now has begun to fill, knowing that it had to happen sometime and knowing that Kyrie is so beautiful and where she is going is only going to strengthen that beauty and as silly as it sounds, I have to share her. I want to share her. I want her to be sprinkled over the lives of others, the cities and schools of someplace else because I want others to experience the calm and consistent, the patient and persevering love that she gave me. I will miss her blond tossled hair, her warmly lit room, and her constantly creative eye. But I can let her go at the same time so unbelievably grateful that I was given my time with Kyrieanna and that I know her better then I ever before. And really... it makes me grateful for those still around me and eager to spend time with them. to love.

to listen to kiko as she talks about the girl who cuts herself and needs a home in her foster agency. to go with chelsey when she picks out her puppy tomorrow. to treasure every dear conversation with michael on the porch in the evenings.

they're here. and i love them. so dearly.

and the truth is that God does give and then at times, he takes away, sometimes even people. but I'm realizing that if we just try and look around, not even that intensely. but if we just look he's taking care. he knows us so well, hemmed us in behind and before. what a freeing truth this is and sitting on my bed tonight in this new and charming house I get to call my own, tucked pleasantly inside st. elmo, I know that truth has given me peace. he's got me. he knows me. and he's taking care.

7 comments:

kate said...

Thank you Sienna for beautiful words.

Anonymous said...

Sienna,
I want you to know that a little something is on its way to you in the mail..hoping it reaches you before may 17th..:)make sure someone can send it to maryland if you`re not at college next week..i sent it to 557...:)
love,signe

linnea said...

sienna dear,

what a beautiful post. as you were writing about how you feel about Kyrie, and how her life effects yours . . I couldn't help noticing it was SO close to my feelings for Ben!

The truth is. . life is so full of goodbyes, and so longs, and separations. New relationships beginning as old ones are ending. But the beauty of marriage is you get this promise from your favorite person that means "I am here with you, no matter where, no matter what..there will be no separating us in this life. This is permanent."

and that is such a comforting thing. to know that something is permanent. that SOMEONE in life will always be an arm's length away, to talk to at bed time. to eat pancakes with.

so my dear, Sienna. there is something for you to look forward too.

:-)

I love you so much, girl. And I can't wait to see you.

p.s. please email me your current address so I may send a long your birthday present.

Lynne said...

Sienna,

Are you in Chattanooga for the summer?

Jonnie said...

Those pictures are lovely. I love reading your words dear girl.
-Jonnie

Unknown said...

Thankyou for your words. What a good reminder that we are his and he has a plan for our lives whether it's placing or removing little lives from our own. You fill my life dear girl. I love you.

jeremy said...

I've read this quite late after you've posted, but it was extremely encouraging. Thanks for this, Sienna.