Saturday, April 18, 2009

On the subway I can read the ads, count the stops,
study faces---
white faces, pink faces,
brown faces, black faces,
old faces, new faces,
and my own face's face in the train window.

I can be a conductor (if I'm the first car
or the last) and look out the window at
the darkness wizzing by.

I can think thoughts---my very own secret
subway-ride thoughts
And I ride and ride
Until it's my turn to get off.
Then I leave it all to someone else.

-Lee Bennett Hopkins

Hopkins is "one of America's most prolific anthologists of poetry for young people," as one article puts it beautifully. I'm reviewing his child's poetry book, "This Streets For Me"
In a couple short lines this man illustrated what it is to be on a subway, a train, a bus... and just listen.

4 comments:

linnea said...

This poem was so beautiful to me! He definitely captures how it is in the world of public transportation!

K. A. Ruth Bushaw said...

but it dosen't rhyme!!

jus kidding:)

Taryn Lamp said...

this makes me smile.

i like subways.

feetofclay said...

I thought it was yours until I got to the byline at the end. You can write also, and I think you are an anthropologist at heart.