I'm sitting at the bus stop with my knees pulled up to my chest. I close my book. My bus is 4 minutes late so I lean back and try to make myself comfortable. I pull out my wallet and stick my student ID in the front page of my book, What is the What, so I can pull it out quickly and get on my bus free of charge.
I stop reading and look around. Three buses have passed but none are mine. There's a boy sitting next to me with an over sized graffiti jacket on - a jacket I've only dreamed of pulling off. He's not holding anything and he's staring at the construction across the street. I stop reading to look like he's looking. and I'm tempted to ask if he's waiting for the 28 too. I want to talk to him because he looks nothing like me and our worlds are so foreign to each other. I start thinking about it, how many different kinds of people there are. I'm fascinated. suddenly sitting out on a bench at the bus stop I don't feel scared, maybe a little bit out of place, but not scared. but he's not interested and he won't look at me.
Someone sits across from me and when I catch their gaze I'm not sure if it's a man or a woman. They stare back at me and now I'm a little scared and wonder why my bus is 6 minutes late. It's never that late and now I'll be that student who walks into class ten minutes after the professor's started lecturing.
It's ok though. I'll keep looking for now.
Two older men walk briskly beside the bus stop and I wish they were catching the 28 too. But they keep going, oh so briskly, with their goofy grins as they talk to each other with their humorously short jogging shorts on. They are so jolly.
and I know why.
it's early.
and they're awake.
they're not missing anything.
They're surrounded by their community and walking along busy streets with post rainy air hitting their morning cheeks and producing that goofy grin. I smile at them without realizing it.
I love this rainy air and this scary bus stop.
I'm so happy where I am.
6 comments:
she is beautiful, and she is mine. what a woman.
YES. good post, good post.
hold on there just a minute Mr Michael F. Kendal...she's beautiful and she is a woman (21 on Sat.?!!) but I think she is still "mine"! just kiddin' with ya.
the post was interesting and strange-just like you Sienna. You are 21 on Sat.-how did that happen? I can see you perfectly-age 7. i love you. I wrote you a letter for your birthday today while little pre-kindergartners were napping and I left it in the classroom where i was subbing-rats.
at first I just thought..WHAT A COOL POST! and i wanted to tell you how cool it was. and how i totally understand the whole thing you're talking about the different worlds and stuff.
but now I am more interested on commenting on your boyfriend's comment....
totally fabulous. i love it when people are crazy about it each other. and i know y'all are crazy about each other :-D
I think I say it all the time, so I might as well just keep saying it because it's always true. Love how your words transport me to wherever you are. It's wonderful.
yes, Sienna, you could write a book of little anecdotal stories and people would buy it and read it and say what a great author Aubren Howard is. and Kate, you beat me to the punch. Michael, I've not met you yet, but I am certain that she is ours up hear in the Old Line State, and "mine" may be yet to come for you. We mothers are terribly defensive and territorial when it comes to our daughters. Just like my labrador...harmless at injuring, but really really good at warning.
Post a Comment