Friday, May 04, 2007

the pretty blonde girl.

Two days ago I flew home from college with my sister, Kyrie. I finished my first year. It's surprising to me. 12 months ago I came home from a place I sort of ran away to simply because college scared me. I didn't feel ready to enter that adult world. It looked so full of responsibility and college was a place where really smart people went to. I didn't feel capable.

So I went to Liberia instead and learned a few things.

I met a girl there. I met her the 2nd night. Her name was Signe Hannas Lindland and she was the first one I noticed when I walked on the ship. Her back was facing me as she stood at the front counter talking with a group of people. I remember her laugh was loud and her hair was very blonde. She was extremely pretty and put together. I stared at her, probably glaring, and nudged Sam, "Look. Isn't she pretty? She doesn't look like someone who���d come here." She looked so glamorous and hip. I couldn't think long before we were greeted by overly friendly hostesses ready to explain our job descriptions, where'd we be staying, ship regulations, meal times, and then of course leave a little room for us to talk about ourselves.

The next day Sam and I attended our computer introduction class around 3pm and the pretty blonde girl sat next to me. I was so scared that day. So scared. I knew no one except Sam and Cully and since they were already friends before the ship I constantly played the nagging little sister role, begging to be included. I had to find my own friend. As computer instruction swarmed the room my mind thought only of how I was going to ask her to be my friend. I didn't listen to how to set up my email account or how to upload pictures. I didn���t care about that. The lesson finally ended and I fumbled around with the mouse and hit a couple keys. She wasn't getting up. I remember I could sense a bit of fear in her so I risked it. I asked her.

"Are you new?" My heart beat. I was so scared she'd already had friends and wouldn���t need me. But her answer came so quickly and a smile poured out on my face.

"Yes! Yesterday I got here. Are you new too?!"

"Yeah... you wanna be friends?"

I smile so big as I write now, remembering how pathetically scared I was, how desperately I wanted a friend, and how ready Signe was to be that. I remember clearly Signe's longing as well and how we stuck together for those seven months I was aboard the Anastasias. A couple months later we became shipmates and shared a cabin and the rest... well, it will be continued this summer in her homeland.

I'm leaving for Norway in 4 days. I'm going to live with the pretty blonde girl who became my best friend on that ship and who was one of the most lasting blessings I received when I sailed away from home last year. I'll be away for 2 months.

Please pray for me. I'm about to leave for another daring adventure. I'm running over with possibly dangerous excitement.

As Hellen Keller would say, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

8 comments:

Michael Kendall said...

will you be my friend? what a cool story...yes, youre in mine and dan's prayers already. do it!

chelsay said...

Oh my dear one...need you even ask? You're already there my love, mostly because I'm constantly praying that you'll come back soon, but I'll change it up a bit to better suit your coming endeavor. I love you with all my little heart!

Sienna said...

chels chels,
that comment scared me for a second cause I had no idea who "..." was. haha. glad I figured it out...

sent something out in the mail for you today...
love,sienna

todd and anna said...

Hey girl,

I love your blog and your story! It is almost time for you to go to norway. I will pray for you sweet sienna. I miss you Anna

Bowie said...

Welcome to norway Sienna.

I'm still in Libera and I dont know wen I'm comming home.Howe long are you staying.

Bowie

todd and anna said...

Sienna!!!!

Can you put your blog on my blog!! you know what I mean.....just like your Dad's. Yes I am a loser I know....

Love you Anna

P.S. Yes please call. what time are you going. I am leaving at 2 pm and fly to New Wark first. we can also call then.

Taryn Lamp said...

i see that you leave for norway tomorrow, i am so excited for you, and will be/have been praying for you!! i look forward to reading all about your trip!

Anonymous said...

Have I told you that I love you? And how much I admire you for just who you are? I am excited for your upcoming adventure... and you are written down on my prayer list. Go have fun.