Tuesday, July 17, 2007

backsides of mountains & human nature

I'm reading a good book right now. It pulls me in and holds me tight, like my brown and white quilt during an air conditioned night. I didn't mean to rhyme there.

I'm not much of a reader. I've always tried and I've always wanted it. I've wanted to sit for hours at my kitchen table or leaning against my bed, or just plop down on our way too comfy couch and read. for one hour. maybe two. even the whole afternoon. I hear of people who can do that and I like how they talk and how they write and I like where they choose to place periods and commas and I like how their minds think. I always find myself in this impossible predicament... never being able to get past the 3rd or 4th chapter. There's been the few rare ones that have captured my fleeting atention and kept me content and quiet long enough to read their tale. Jane Eyre, life of pi, lisa beamer's "let's roll" (don't laugh.), sophie's world, little woman, the hobbit, and good ol' harry... but I wish i've read more. I will continue to try though. to sit. to be still. to take in. to stretch my mind even when it tells me it's tired and even when it tries to refuse. This summer I've started half a dozen books and returned them to their dirty shelf barely before hittig their third chapter. I'm not proud of it. I found this one though last week...It was lying on the stair well. the color and font made me pick it up. I remembered Kyrie, buried in it the day before on the way to church. I asked her if it was any good and she gave me one of those deep nods and opened her eyes real big. That meant it was good. It's called "for one more day." It's an easy one... not very long. small little red book. but it pulled me in and it's words made me jelous and I wish I could write as well as Mitch Albom.

I liked this part.

"It's funny. I met a man once who did a lot of mountain climbing. I asked him which was harder, ascending or descending? He said without a doubt descending, because ascending you were so focused on reaching the top, you avoided mistakes. The backside of a mountain is a fight against human nature. You have to care as much about yourself on the way down as you did on the way up."

I really like looking at something fresh. Mitch Albom did it here. Life is like mountain climbing. no matter if you're going up or down. you've got to care.

15 comments:

D. Fresh said...

well done sienna. and inspiring too. i am constantly kicking myself for lack of patience to just stop and sit and read. i used to read, and now i only sometimes read. i wish it wasn't so..

Anna McClurg said...

Hello. You don't know me, but I just had to reply to this. I could have written this myself. The idea of reading and actually finishing a book is a lovely thing, but actually doing it is another. You have inspired me. :)

kate said...

I totally relate to what Sienna, Dan, and Anna have said. Who are these wonderful people who sit deep with a book regarding it as their dearest friend and venture into other worlds with it and have that look that they can't wait to leave whatever they are doing (a party, talking to you)so they can get back to what is truly relaxing, inspiring and everything els they call it!!

Lynne said...

Yeah, well, and then there are those of us who could read ALL the time. I've always loved words and cannot remember a time when I didn't or couldn't read. Is there a balanced person somewhere in the universe?

Anonymous said...

sienna, my dear, i love you!

okay, now that's out of the way...i'm so glad you posted about this book. now i am extra fired up to read it!

"the five people you meet in heaven" had just the same effect on me. they way he wrote that story made me re-read paragraphs every other page.

if you like mitch albom...read it!

okay cool girl....see you soon!!

-linnea shelton (can't say that for much longer..)

annie said...

oh sienna, don't feel too too bad about not getting past the first few chapters of a book and shoving it back on the shelf. i do it more than i'd like to admit--and you know how i lovelovelove to read. sometimes you just gotta commit or get out. ;)

but just so you know--after you stick a book back on a shelf after a few pages, don't give up on it forever. some of my favorite books are the ones i went back to after letting them sit and ripen for a while. letting my mind sit and ripen, in any case.

SarahJ said...

I started reading "the five people you meet in heaven" like towards the beginning of summer and yup like many people do i shoved it back on the bookshelf and said id read it later but ya know what im defiently going to read the rest! i just feel i have to now from just reading this blog entry.

kate said...

good advice Annie-i was waiting for your comment-how about a word from Kibbie-the ultimate reader from whom all other huntington readers flow!

grey rose (they/them) said...

all of albom's books are fantastic reads!!

Anonymous said...

I read Agatha Christie for the first time this summer. The title is The Murder of Roger Akroyd. Now, this little book did not grab me, but seeing as AC is this amazingly popular and successful author, world renown even, who was I to think she wasn't so hot. I decided I didn't have the right to quit reading her work. So, I pushed through to the end, and, shazam, it was amazing, stunning, so surprising and unexpected and startling. Now I'm on my 3rd AC mystery. And I love to read but have often found myself not finishing anything for the past few years. I'm so glad I stuck with AC.

Anonymous said...

there's one book i know i'm bound to finish way before i should or want to: Harry Potter !! comes out in three days guys. too good to be true.

Katie Lin said...

Sometime last year I got "One More Day" the week it came out at Barnes and Nobles. I read it in one afternoon and loved it so much! Talking to Kyrie later on I told her that she had to read Tuesdays with Morrie. However the outcome came and she did not like it as much as I had thought she would. So than I let her borrow One more Day, as to hopes that she would enjoy that one better than she had for Tuesdays with Morrie. So excited that her later report tonight at dinner was that she loved it so much better!

Sienna,
I am thrilled that you have and are enjoying my book! I love nothing more than to share simple and lovely things such as great books to my friends and family!

Michael Kendall said...

albom reminds me of a-bomb

Sienna said...

what's an a-bomb?

Anonymous said...

reminds me of aplomb...wait,am I at Word for Word? Sienna, do you really now know what an a-bomb is? Signs of the times. I-pod yes, a-bomb, huh???