Monday, July 09, 2007

Madeline














in an old house in paris
that was covered with vines
lived twelve little girls
in two straight lines...

these are the beginning lines of children's book, Madeline. Mom used to read it to us. If Kyrie were here, I'd ask her what came next and she'd be able to recite the entire book. It goes on to say how they took a walk, brushed their teeth, and went to bed in "two straight lines" and the littlest one was madeline.

I watched a little madeline today and she reminded me of the one in the book. She was so small and her voice, so delicate. The last time I looked after madeline was
farther back than I remembered. I didn't realize this morning when I biked the couple blocks to her house that she was now walking and putting words into sentences. We had conversations. She was an infant last time I saw her. Now she's four and can ask her mom to make her french toast. She even knows how to play candy land and beat me in war. She knows how to draw a triangle and tells me she likes sugar.

Madeline amazes me. maybe it's her knowledge in spite of her size or her ability to adapt to a total stranger, opening up to me and reaching for my hand, trusting me. she fills me with wonder. she's so capable. yet so small. she teaches me so much.

about the world and about myself.



flickr has more.

6 comments:

Eliam en Joni Vlijm said...

Wat lief! That 's so sweet!
Yes, we can learn alot from children!

Liefs,
Joni

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marilyn gave me your blog today, I was reminded of what a wmen full of wonder and inspiration you are! thank you for sharing that with us.
So we never heard from u while in Norway, I was hoping to see you butmaybe
next time.

Be blessed. Ana.

Anonymous said...

I love one, two, three, and four year olds.

todd and anna said...

Hey hey sweet girl,

I love the way you wright!!!! love it... OOOO I am sending you something for your dad. Some therapy paper work. Things to do....They put it together for your dad at my work. Hope he will like it.

Love you girl Anna

Sienna said...

anna, you're amazing.
thank you dear.

love, sienna

Anonymous said...

Four years old is a perfect age. You describe it well. She is SO precious!