Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sugar Magnolia
My little sister called me a couple weeks ago. I was sitting on the little beach a couple blocks from my home, watching a young Russian girl named Olga. I’ve been picking up odd babysitting jobs, hoping I’d find a steady one… not a different child every week but the same one or the same two that I could get to know and “nanny”. I’ve done this though for a long time and I wondered if maybe I could find something a bit different for this summer. Chalice knows a lot of people in our little town and she said she’d look into for me. When she called me some weeks ago her words made me want to get up and dance. She had talked to one of our friends downtown who owns a consignment boutique – Sugar Magnolia – one of my very favorite stores in little Cambridge. She needed help and wondered if I was up for it. I accepted immediately.

Sugar Magnolia is the kind of store that Cambridge has been starved for. It opened a couple years ago and whenever I visit home I’m relieved to find it still alive, so very alive. Our downtown is sweet and small, quaint and humble… maybe a little too humble. It’s about 10 blocks from our home and in the past couple years I’ve finally been given reason to walk those blocks and visit the small stores that have started to grow. The days I work here I get to walk or bike, depending on how long it takes me to me to make my lunch in the morning. A lady always sits on the bench next to the front door, smoking her cigarette and reading her newest mystery novel. I unlock the door and grab the magnolia flag inside. Standing up on the bench, beside the lady, I push it down into its holder. I walk back inside, switching on the three sets of lights and pulling the chords to the ceiling fans as I make my way to the back and open the closet, letting out my little companion, Friday – the store’s friendly green eyed cat. I don’t normally like cats but I adore this one. She doesn’t use her claws on my skin and she comes when I call. She's nice to the customers. She keeps me company and sleeps on the couch beside the counter, giving the shop such charm. The front door stays open and she doesn’t run away. I never have to worry about her… I only tell the curious customers her amusing name and that it’s alright to pet her.

Opening a shop all by myself three days a week makes me happy. I breathe easy. I am peaceful and content. I picture Kathleen Kelly opening “The Shop Around the Corner” flipping on the lights and getting ready for a day of people and finding out small things about them as she invites them into this place of her own…. a place that represents her. Although Sugar Magnolia isn’t my shop, it is Stephanie’s and it says a lot about her. The kinds of clothes she sells, the way a cat walks around, the beautiful clutter around the front desk, the magazines on the table, the quote on the wall and painted girls on the wall behind me…. They each say something about her and that’s what I find most charming about this small downtown shop. It’s Stephanie’s. and when I open it each morning, I sort of walk into her world and I have the responsibility to maintain what she's created. Maybe I romanticize it a bit too much but sometimes that’s what words are for… opening and digging out the undiscovered beauty in something that we never stopped to really see. I have great respect for the owners of small shops who open up their lives for others to unpack… and I’m grateful for Stephanie Malkus whose given me the privilege to be a small part of Sugar Magnolia for the rest of my summer.








sisters come to visit.

11 comments:

Michael Kendall said...

you forgot to tell how you get paid in rolls of quarters and clothes off the rack. oops...

Charlotte said...

sienna, this is really nice for you. I really know what you mean about loving the shop owners who emerge in their loves and hates in the way they run their shops.

hey, do you mind if I link your blog on my blog?
www.lovercansee.blogspot.com

Damien said...

a feast of a post. you ring my bell.

annie said...

a delicious shop: i adore it; only, everything in it is a size six petite and completely useless to me. the things that happen to be my size also happen to be, well, hospital gowns, as it would appear. (what is that dreadful floral thing? you must know the one i'm talking about. if you look inside the collar it has a...stain. like blood, or chocolate, or something else. i really think it's a hospital gown. you should get it out of there. it doesn't belong squeezed between all the other pretty clothes.)

however, it is nice to pop in and look about and dream of shrinking, as i did today. and you weren't there. haha. missed ya. which days do you work? i'll stop in and bring you your birthday present.

todd and anna said...

Hey girl,

It was so good to talk to you? I am so happy you love your job. Have a look at my blog some very funny pictures from BEAR. I know you will love them.

Talk to you soon girl love Anna

Anonymous said...

I think I need to plan another trip to Cambridge.

Anonymous said...

great post sista

-linlin

Michael Kendall said...

thanks for the schooling.

faith said...

The huntingtons, anna, and I came by to visit you yesterday, but your weren't there. I love the store. It must be awesome to work there and get to the clothes first before anyone else. Fun job. :)

annie said...

hey sienna, i took your advice and cooked up a little bloggy-blog! it's here if you'd like to see it!

Anonymous said...

hey sister............

i love the new blog title and quote......cooooolll!

-linnea